Project was started by defining the main values and ethos that will be followed throughout the design process: accessibility and mobility through public transport and pedestrian connections, reduction of cars around the project site, improved storm-water management, diverse programming of public and commercial functions on the ground level, green and activity-based outdoor spaces, efficient office floor plate design.
These ethos set up main urban strategies for the surroundings of the site:
A. Connect riverfront and the project site with greenery and water features. Relocate parking underground or into existing parking facilities.
B. Create cyclist/pedestrian promenade with active public spaces. Integrate the project site and increase the greenery along the riverfront.
C. Reduce car traffic by allocating main services of the site in the North-East. Integrate DPM infrastructure into the development.
Urban strategies indicated the next steps for the architectural concept to be established. The project 'Peaks' was created following 6 main design chapters:
1. Activate the waterfront greenery, basketball, padel and tennis courts. Define backside of the site for service vehicles.
2. Use permeable surfaces and greenery for rainwater management in the center of the site. Allocate leisure and commercial functions on the ground and upper floors in connection to sports courts and greenery.
3. Integrate DPM station and connect it with the building creating market-like commercial spaces: café, event spaces, bars and restaurants. Indicate maximum allowed height of the building.
4. Adjust massing for best micro-climate conditions. Allocate office in the highest corner, hotel - most visible and closest to promenade, residential - closest to DPM, lowest massing, great solar conditions.
5. Rotate office tower for better solar and wind conditions. Adjust the hotel massing to allow better views for people in the office tower. Adjust residential mass to match riverfront towers typology.
6. The outer perimeter facades indicate rigid grid in order to relate to the City of Detroit. The grid facing inner greenery is shuffled in order to make them dynamic while still relating to Detroit’s urban fabric.
LEISURE AND COMMERCIAL USES:
Lettable area - 15 120m2
Luxury apartments: 100
Business apartments: 102
Top level community zone: 300m2
Accessible rooftop gardens: 4
24 x 1000m2 lettable area
1 x 1000m2 conference floor
1 x 135m2 reception level
Total: 25 135m2
500 x mixed-size rooms
4 x villas
1 x 300m2 skybar
Ground floor leisure facilities in close connection with the hotel function.